[Xorp-users] Igmp configuration

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:47:19 -0700

> I'm trying to configure IGMP routing on "xorp". I put this section in
> the "conf.boot" file:
>
> protocols {
>     igmp {
> 	disable: false
> 	interface eth0 {
> 	    vif eth0 {
> 		disable: false
> 	    }
> 	}
> 	traceoptions {
> 	    flag all {
> 		disable: false
> 	    }
> 	}
>     }
> }
>
> N.B: the eth0 interface is already configured in the beginning of the
> file.
>
> When I enter the configure mode, and type the "show ?" command, I only
> see :
> XORP> show ?
> Possible completions:
>   <[Enter]>       Execute this command
>   fea             Configure the Forwarding Engine Abstraction
>   interfaces      Configure network interfaces
>   plumbing        Configure plumbing modules
>   protocols       Configure routing protocols
>   |               Pipe through a command
> XORP>
>
> You see that I don't have an igmp command. When I type "protocols"; it
> only show me the IGMP record in the conf.boot file.
>
> Is it normal? Do I have to configure something else to make it appear?

Yes, it is normal, because you are inside the configuration mode.
If you want to run the operational mode "show igmp" commands while
you are inside the configuration mode, then you have to use
"run show igmp ..."
In, general, the "run" command inside configuration mode can be used
to execute the operational commands.
Of course, you could always use the "exit" command from
configuration mode to go back to operational mode.

Hope that helps,
Pavlin

P.S. BTW, running IGMP itself inside XORP without PIM-SM won't give
you any useful functionality, because you need PIM-SM to do the
multicast routing.
If you want to do, say, IGMP-based forwarding (as in
draft-ietf-magma-igmp-proxy-06.txt), then this is a very different
story. In that case I am afraid you cannot use the XORP IGMP
implementation, because currently it doesn't support that
functionality.