[Xorp-users] Xorp and PPP

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:36:49 -0700

> Is there any possibility to make xorp recognize dynamically PPP logical
> interfaces?
> I'm trying to configure it in order to treat multicast flows on PPP
> sessions...

A basic question: are all interface names visible by "ifconfig -a"
before you start XORP (i.e., just the names even though they may not
have IP addresses yet)?
If yes, then maybe you will be able to use XORP with such
interfaces, but be aware that we haven't tried XORP with PPP
interfaces so you may run into some problems.

If no, then you cannot use XORP as-is, because within the XORP
configuration you must tell XORP about all interfaces it is suppose
to use. Off the top of my head, one possible solution is to write a
script that is invoked and generates a new XORP configuration
whenever you have a new PPP interface or an existing one is deleted.
Other folks may have better solutions.

Pavlin