[Xorp-users] Emulating multiple routers on the same host

Ratul Mahajan ratul@cs.washington.edu
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:12:39 -0700

 > You can currently run multiple BGP instances on the same machine, as
 > BGP uses TCP, and you can configure the peer address and port on a
 > per-peer basis.  So if you want to experiment with BGP, this is
 > possible without code changes.  But the resulting virtual routers
 > won't actually forward packets to each other, so this is only useful
 > for routing experiments, not a general solution.

so whats the simplest way to accomplish this?

(i realize that the answer is there somewhere in the code/docs but
specific pointers would help.)

thanks.

Mark Handley wrote:

 >> The XORP Vision page mentions the ability to emulate multiple
routers on the same host, saying this can be done if you modify the FEA.
  My question is how do you modify the FEA to do this?  Do you have to
hack code, or can this be done by configuration?