[Xorp-users] IPv6 & BGP

Kristian Larsson kristian@juniks.net
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:07:27 +0100

I apologize for not responding to this earlier.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 09:09:33PM +0200, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > Actually this is not a protocol issue but a configuration issue. In the
> > configuration we have an IPv4 nexthop marked as a mandatory item. In
> > the case where you want to use BGP for IPv6 only we have no way of
> > disabling the check (yet).
>
> The need to specify next-hop explicitly in the configuration even in the
> IPv4 case is very strange requirement IMHO. Never seen it in any other
> implementation. The address used in NEXT_HOP attribute should be normally
> derived from interface address used for BGP session (local-ip in XORP).
> 5.1.3 section in draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-26 should give quite good rules for
> that. In case there is need to disregard these rules, modifying nexthop
> is job of policies.
Indeed it is strange.

> > If you set the ipv4-unicast and ipv4-multicast flags to false and you
> > have no local IPv4 addresses then just choose a legal IPv4 address. The
> > IPv4 nexthop address should *not* be used it just needs to satisify the
> > configuration constraint. I have never tried an IPv6 peering on a
> > machine that does not have any IPv4 addresses configured but I would
> > expect it to work.
>
> Note, that there is still need to have the IPv4 unicast address in the BGP
> speaker. Even RFC2858bis states:
>
> "This document assumes that any BGP speaker (including the one that
> supports multiprotocol capabilities defined in this document) has to have
> an IPv4 address (which will be used, among other things, in the
> AGGREGATOR attribute)."
>
> And the router id MUST be valid IPv4 unicast address as well.
The router id I can live with but do I really need
v4 for anything else?

After sending the mail I got it working - I had
forgotten the local-ip variable.
However there's still a bug here. When missing
next-hop xorp will provie a clean error message
however this was not the case with local-ip. I
just got some mumbo-jumbo.
The router is now operational and thus I cannot
debug anymore with it. I intend to setup a similar
scenario when I have the time but this should be
pretty easy to debug..
edit protocols bgp
create bgp-id 1.3.3.7
create local-as 1337
edit peer 2001::1:3:3:7
set as 1338
commit  (will generate a clean error - lack of
next-hop I beleive)
set next-hop 1.3.3.7
commit  (will genereate mumbo jumbo if I remember
correctly)

For the intersted this router is now announcing
2001:4db8::/32 :)

   Kristian.