[Xorp-users] Filtering capabilities

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:00:40 -0800

> Hi,
> I'm really new to routers so please forgive me if this question is stupid.
> Is this software capable of filtering functions such as other routers?
> That is, by setting up the router to accept specific traffic...will the
> traffic that is not specified be dropped by the router?
>
> Again, sorry if this question might be a bit elementary. I am trying to
> learn about this as I am trying to explore an open source routing solution
> for a project I'm working. Thanks in advance for any responses received.

Andy,

XORP implements only the control plane, so all filtering will happen
in the data plane (e.g., inside the kernel).

If you want to configure the filtering inside the kernel, currently
you would have to use external software (e.g., ipfw for firewall
configuration on FreeBSD). Though, in the future you would be able
to configure it through the XORP configuration.