[Xorp-users] error with XRLs

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:26:53 -0800

> I guess I should also add that I had compiled my module on its own and then
> I started it up on its own at the shell prompt.  So maybe I need to have
> Xorp start it somehow?

Jeff,

The problem is that you need to have a running XORP finder if you
use XRLs. For that you have two options:

1. Add a rtrmgr template to etc/templates/your_protocol.tp that will
   contain the rtrmgr template how to configure your protocol, the
   XRLs sent to your protocol to configure it, etc.
   Then, when you run xorp_rtrmgr, it will start the XORP finder,
   your protocol, etc and everything else that is needed.

2. Start libxipc/xorp_finder by hand before starting your protocol.

Option (2) is simpler during initial development testings until you
have something stable and running.

Also, please note that you cannot have more than one finder on the
same machine. E.g., if you have started a XORP router (which
will be running a finder internally), then you cannot start
xorp_finder by hand. If, say, you need other XORP components as well
(say, fea, rib, bgp, etc), then you can start each of them by hand
in the appropriate order. E.g., xorp_finder, xorp_fea, xorp_rib,
xorp_bgp, etc...