[Xorp-users] error with XRLs

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:06:44 -0800

    >> If you choose to start the processes yourself you will need to
    >> start RIB (xorp_rib) and FEA (xorp_fea) process, otherwise BGP
    >> will not allow peer information to be added.

    Jeff> Would it make sense then that if I start xorp_rtrmgr on my
    Jeff> machine that I can not start my process on its own?  I am
    Jeff> basing this on the assumption that xorp_rtrmgr would start
    Jeff> xorp_rib and xorp_fea.  Then if I started them also some
    Jeff> problem would occur (either they can't be started twice or if
    Jeff> they can then my program would be communicating with a
    Jeff> different bgp module than the bgp module that was started by
    Jeff> xorp_rtrmgr).

If you use the xorp_rtrmgr to start BGP and associated processes there
should be no problem with starting a separate process that sends XRLs to
BGP.

There is a simple way to verify this. There is a program in the libxipc
directory called "call_xrl", that can be used to send XRLs. Use
xorp_rtrmgr to start all the processes, then use call_xrl to originate a
route.

$ libxipc/call_xrl finder://bgp/bgp/0.2/originate_route4?nlri:ipv4net=$1&next_hop:ipv4=$2&unicast:bool=$3&multicast:bool=$4

Replace $1 to $4 for example:

$ libxipc/call_xrl 'finder://bgp/bgp/0.2/originate_route4?nlri:ipv4net=10.10.10.0/24&next_hop:ipv4=20.20.20.20&unicast:bool=true&multicast:bool=false'

  Atanu.