[Xorp-users] XORP on Solaris??

Dave Price dave.price@aber.ac.uk
Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:52:43 +0000

Dear Atanu and All,

atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU said:
> We haven't ported XORP to Solaris and from the silence it doesn't seem
> that anybody else has either.

And I had no "private" emails from anyone in response
to my earlier email.

atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU said:
> We are in the process of putting in XORP routers at our border for
> IPv4 and IPv6 (Unicast and Multicast). The PCs will run FreeBSD which
> is our main development platform. We happen to have choosen Dell rack
> mount machines but I think Suns with AMD processors would have worked
> just as well.

Ou plans are evolving a bit and I gather our current "favourite"
for hardware (for various funding related reasons) is likely
to go in the direction of a SPARC powered Sun. I gather the current
proposed one has four in-built high speed ether interfaces
and we are considering adding another four port board as well.

atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU said:
> We have been adding ACL support to XORP but rules cannot yet be placed
> in the configuration file.

I spotted some chat on the maillist in this direction the other day.

How hard do you think it would be to "port" XORP
to Sparc Solaris??  Do you have a lot of operating system
dependencies in the code??  Would there be any value
in the "academic interest / research" direction to attempt
to do such a port?  I wonder if we might be able
to contribute and how much prior low-level OS
experience one would need to attempt such work??

Comments anyone??

Dave Price

Dave Price