[Xorp-users] XORP on Solaris??

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:12:53 -0800

    Dave> How hard do you think it would be to "port" XORP to Sparc
    Dave> Solaris??  Do you have a lot of operating system dependencies
    Dave> in the code??  Would there be any value in the "academic
    Dave> interest / research" direction to attempt to do such a port?
    Dave> I wonder if we might be able to contribute and how much prior
    Dave> low-level OS experience one would need to attempt such work??

We have tried to make the XORP code as portable as we can. We have tried
to place all the operating specific code into one process the Forwarding
Engine Abstraction (FEA). All the interations with routing tables and
interfaces are managed through this process.

I had a quick pass at trying to compile XORP on a Sparc running SunOS
5.8. There seem to be some minor header file naming issues. The biggest
problem looks like some casts in our timer heap code. I didn't try and
build the FEA, SunOS looks like it uses the standard BSD style routing
socket, it might just work.

We haven't had many requests for XORP to run on a Sparc. If you were to
port it we would be happy to incorporate your changes into the code
base. It should also demonstate the portability of the code.

In terms of prior experience having used the ioctl(2) interface would be
useful but not essential.

	Atanu.