[Xorp-users] Problem starting XORP+User Click

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:32:00 -0800

Julian,

> I'm trying to use XORP in combination with User Level Click forwarding.
> When I run ./xorp_rtrmgr I get the following error message:
>
> [ 2005/01/12 14:47:07  ERROR xorp_fea:2593 LIBCOMM +499 comm_sock.c
> comm_sock_connect4 ] Error connecting socket (family = 2, remote_addr =
> 127.0.0.1, remote_port = 13000): Connection refused
> [ 2005/01/12 14:47:07 WARNING xorp_fea FEA ] Could not open user-level Click
> socket: Connection refused. Trying again...
>
> Click is installed on /usr/local/bin.

Does this message appears only 1-2 times, or does it happen a number
of times?
On startup, the FEA may have to wait a bit until the click process
is ready and accepts connections on its control socket.
In other words, if you see above messages just 1-2 times, then this
is fine and you can ignore them.

If however you see numerous messages as those above, and then
ERROR "Could not open ..." error message (that error message should
not contain the "Trying again..." text), then this is an error that
needs to be tracked further.

Admittably, it would be less confusing if you don't see any
intermediate messages while the REA attempts to open the
communication socket to Click. I will add this as a TODO entry.

<DEL>

> Maybe I'm missing anything? What means startup-config-file: "/dev/null"? Any
> help or suggestion will be welcome.

On startup, the click binary expects "-f filename" as an argument to
specify the startup configuration file to load. If you don't have a
startup config file, then you should use an empty file. File
"/dev/null" is just such empty file that can be used instead.
Apparently, the click binary won't start listening for control
connections if it wasn't started with the "-f filename" argument.