[Xorp-users] XORP + User Click

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:02:29 -0800

> I have a simple XORP configuration file, that simply assigns an IP to the eth1
> interface of my machine. If I run XORP with this configuration using the
> Linux kernel as forwarding path and then I add a default route via xorpsh,
> everything goes ok and I can ping any other machine.
> But if I do the same but enabling user-level click, I can add the default
> route in the same way (without any error message) but I cannot ping machines
> others than mine... what I'm missing? What's going wrong?

I believe you see the above behavior because when you are running
user-level Click, all add/delete routes from XORP go to the
user-level Click only. In other words, the add/delete XORP routes
are NOT added to the kernel.

This was the intended design choice. Otherwise, we may end-up with
mixing user-level and kernel-level forwarding, and the result may be
confusing (at least).

BTW, have you tried traceroute through your XORP+user-level-Click router?
I guess when you try to run "ping" on your XORP+Click router, the
outgoing packets from that host itself will attempt to go out of the
box via the kernel IP stack, and are NOT picked-up by user-level
Click. In your case you don't have a default forwarding entry in the
kernel (see above), hence you cannot ping other machines.

Myself I am not familiar enough with Click configurations to say
whether it is possible to create user-level Click configuration that
can pick-up the packets originated from the local host so they can
be forwarded by user-level Click.
Eddie?