[Xorp-users] Build difficulties

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:06:44 +0100

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:27:17PM -0500, Weaver John-JWEAVER1 wrote:
> I am looking into my build options again.  We are using ClearCase on Sun
> machines so I am not sure that we are picking up the right include files.
> Problem is compiling on SunOS for Linux on a PowerPC.  If I need to have
> HAVE_IOCTL_SIOCGIFCONF defined then it must not be looking into the correct
> directories.  I will have to do some looking and get back to you.

We may be able to help you more if we know about how your cross-compiler
works; I was under the impression that ClearCase was just a CASE and SCM
suite, having narrowly avoided it whilst working for a US investment bank
here in London in another life.

The way our configure scripts are structured, if you wish to cross-compile,
you'd have to use wrappers for the toolchain which are aware of cross
compilation and get the base include directory paths right.

For example, doing a cross-compile for Win32 from FreeBSD should just be
a matter of installing the MinGW cross toolchain, setting the relevant
environment variables to point at the tools (e.g. CC, CXX, LD, CPP and so
on) and then running configure.

Getting the configure script story in order for wider cross-compilation is
something I'd like to look at eventually, but regrettably don't have time
to do so right now.

What I've done in the Windows branch (which is not yet in CVS), is to only
include config.h conditionally. This means that any preprocessor macros which
would otherwise be defined by the configure mechanism may be defined on the
compiler command line or in the environment. One reason behind this is to
accomodate the use of alternative build tools (i.e. not automake or GNU make)
at some future date.

Regards,
BMS