[Xorp-users] Unable to forward multicast packets

batkinson batkinson@virtc.com
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:17:36 -0400

Pavlin,

>>One possible problem that comes to mind is that the original
>>multicast packets are probably transmitted with the default TTL of
>>1.
>>TTL of 1 is sufficient for link-local multicast, but such multicast
>>packets won't be forwarded across subnets.
>>
>>Try to increase the TTL of the transmitted data packets and see if
>>the problem goes away.

My test app has a command line switch to change the default of TTL=1, but I
was not using it.  I increased the TTL, and now everything is working as
expected.

Thank you very much for your valuable and prompt assistance with my problem.

Best Regards,

Brian D. Atkinson
Technical Lead Engineer
Virtual Technology Corporation