[Xorp-users] Compile Time

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:45:31 -0700

> I started compiling Xorp Saturday around noon and the process has not
> yet completed.  The website does say that it might take up to an hour
> depending on your CPU speed, but I should note that I don't mean last
> Saturday - I mean Saturday, July 16 - 11 days ago.

Wow!

> It is making progress - I can see it is working on different object
> files as time goes on.  What kind of processing power does Xorp need
> to actually run?  I'm starting to wonder if maybe this system can't
> handle it.  It is a Pentium 233Mhz system running OpenBSD that serves
> as my router and firewall.

Typically, we compile it on PCs with 1-2 GHz CPU and usually with
512 MB (or more) of RAM.

For example, on my OpenBSD box at home (1 GHz, 1GB) it takes on the
order of 1 hour or so to compile XORP.

How much RAM do you have?
Could be that you have very small amount of RAM and the compilation
process is swapping all the time to disk?
If you get hit by heavy-swapping compilation then I could imagine
taking days to finish it.

Pavlin