[Xorp-users] Cannot start vif xl0: invalid primary address

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:14:03 -0700

> PC1 --- XORP --- Cisco router
>
> I am new to xorp. I am trying to start this ipv6 (no
> ipv4 is enabled) server between to systems using MLD.
> I did not have a plan to use PIM or do i have to? I
> have enabled mfea6.
> My main concern is that xorp_rtmgr is that the
> interface xl0 is invalid primary address. My system is
> a freebsd 5.4. There may be several more problems too,
> see below.

If you want to run MLD on an interface, that interface should have a
link-local IPv6 address (in addition to 3ffe:ffff::c0a8:d30b which
is not link-local).
Typically, the link-local address is auto-generated by the OS itself
when the interface is created. You will recognize it because it
starts with "fe8". Did you remove it by hand or was it not there at
all?

Pavlin

P.S. BTW, running XORP with MLD only without PIM-SM is not very
helpful, because you need PIM-SM if you want to route the packets
between Cisco and PC1.