[Xorp-users] RIP XORP 1.1RC between Juniper M10

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 04 May 2005 13:39:38 -0700

> Im trying to configure RIP between my XORP 1.1-RC OpenBSD3.6 router and =
> my Juniper M10 router v6.1R1.4, below are my configuration for both =
> routers...  Basically it seems that both routers are configured =
> correctly and seem to have RIP enabled... On my console window of the =
> XORP router Im receiving the error below... Thanks, Jason...
>
> ------
> XORP Error
> [ 2005/05/04 15:14:17 WARNING xorp_fea XrlSocketServerTarget ] Handling =
> method for socket4/0.1/send_from_multicast_if failed: XrlCmdError 102 =
> Command failed Host is down
> [ 2005/05/04 15:14:17  ERROR xorp_rip:16796 RIP +526 port.cc =
> port_io_send_completion ] Send failed
> ------

Jason,

It looks like the above error messages have nothing to do with the
other RIP router, and are because the XORP router fails to send the
RIP multicast packets on the interface toward the other router.

My guess this happens because you haven't enable the
multicast_host/multicast_router setup (e.g., see netstart(8) for
details).
To fix this you need to add to your /etc/rc.conf.local the following
two lines and then reboot:

multicast_host=NO
multicast_router=YES

OR

multicast_host=YES
multicast_router=NO

If you still get the same error, try to use some test program to
send multicast traffic to group 224.0.0.9 port 520 on the interface
toward the Juniper router and see if you can succeed. The following
email contains instructions how to use one such program:

http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-April/000532.html