[Xorp-users] Why don't xorp bash changes take

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:10:16 -0800

> effect on the kernel routing table?

Several comments:
 * Yesterday we committed the final changes for tracking the link
   state by the protocols and by RIB, so you should get the
   lastest code from CVS. Though, we haven't tested yet RIP and
   OSPF with that feature, so no guarantee it is really working for
   RIP.

 * If you want to take interfaces down while XORP is running you
   should use xorpsh ("set interfaces interface foo disable true").
   After the yesterday's changes, the interface status tracking
   _may_ work, but in general it was never the intention that XORP
   should track all changes you can do to your router by using external
   mechanisms. E.g., if you manually add or delete routes to your
   kernel by he UNIX "route add/delete" command, even though we can
   track those changes it is not clear what we should do with them
   inside XORP.
   Furthermore, by taking the interface down by using an UNIX
   command, then the XORP configuration and the kernel state are
   out-of-sync and you may see various side effects later.

 * Deleting the RIP interface should have removed the RIP routes.
   Please double-check it with running the lastest CVS code.
   If it still doesn't work then please submit a bugzilla entry.

Pavlin

P.S. Please send plain ASCII instead of DOC attachments, especially
if all the text inside the DOC file appears to be just ASCII :)