R: RE: [Bulk] [Xorp-users] Question about ospf protocol implementation on XORP

riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it" <riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 09:12:31 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

Thanks mike it would be great to have some working lab configs just to
help me getting use with ospf implementation on xorp.
I am handling my
thesis on xorp and i specially need to handle ospf protocol so
everything can help me it's welcome.
Thanks
Andrea

----Messaggio
originale----
Da: caddisconsulting@yahoo.com
Data: 13-nov-2005 1.44 AM
A: <riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it>, <xorp-users@xorp.org>
Ogg: RE: [Bulk]
[Xorp-users] Question about ospf protocol implementation on XORP

Hi
Riccardo,

Very good questions, I think you are mixing a few terms.
The fact that OSPF
uses the hello process to discover neighbors does
not make it a link-state
routing protocol (RIP also uses hellos for
neighbor discovery, but it is a
distance vector routing protocol).  In
OSPF once a neighbor is discovered
there is a database exchange, this
is how information about the network
topology is initially propogated,
not by the hello messages themselves.
What makes OSPF a link-state
routing protocol is that each router
contributes to the link-state
database and routing updates are event driven
(change in link state)
rather than being announce at a fixed interval like
RIP.

You are
correct that you should be able to configure 2 XORP routers on a
broadcast network, like Ethernet, and have them automatically discover
each
other.  Right now the OSPF code is pretty new, so it's not too
surprising if
you are experiencing some issues.  I'll send you some
working lab configs
next week.

-mike