[Xorp-users] Linux IPv6 PIM SM support

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:27:32 -0800

> What is the current state of fairs with PIM SM support for Linux?  About a
> year ago I did some work with Hoerdt's implementation.  Is this still the
> best route to go?

Recently there was a xorp-hackers ML thread about this:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-hackers/2005-October/thread.html
[Check the emails with subject "XORP PIMSM6 and IPv6 multicast
forwarding patch"].

To summarize, now the lastest XORP code in CVS can compile with
Hoerdt's IPv6 PIM-SM support for Linux with the caveat that
/usr/include/linux/mroute6.h needs to be installed by hand and
modified a bit. In the following email that is a patch with a quick
hack that comments-out the problematic definitions inside mroute6.h:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-hackers/2005-October/000582.html

Myself I was able to start the XORP IPv6 PIM-SM module on a Linux
kernel with the mods, and I could see the IPv6 multicast forwarding
interfaces installed in the kernel, but so far I haven't got the
time to perform more thoughtful tests (forwarding, etc).
FYI, I was using Fedora Core4 with Usagi's snapshot from the end of
October 2005, because the Usagi's tree already includes Hoerdt's
mods.

If you try the Linux IPv6 PIM-SM support, please send a summary of
your experience to the list.

Pavlin