[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Carsten Otto c-otto@gmx.de
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:56:34 +0100

--X1xGqyAVbSpAWs5A

[Sorry, I messed up with the interface description. Now ethN are at the
right places, the problem remains the same]

Hello!

I am a beginner with xorp, but have read the whole PDF (that does not mean I
understood everything).

I'd like to set up a simple multicast routing environment (details
later). The router in question has three interfaces, where two are
combined to form the bridge br0. The original meaning was to built a
cheap gigabit three-port switch. At the moment one port of the bridge is
not in use, so nothing is connected.

How do I have to setup the interfaces if this bridge is still present?

eth0 has several IPs (ifconfig shows eth0:0 and so on)
eth1 and eth2 are in br0, but have no IP
br0 has one (single) IP

I am not sure what the right thing is, although I did not find any
errors that might be caused by this bridge situation.

Details about the desired multicast routing:

The network connected to eth1/br0 is the whole internet providing PIM-SM and
IGMP (thanks, university). eth0 connected to the
internal network. Here the kernel (not xorp) provides basic routing and
packet counting, firewalling, ... Additionally I'd like to route
multicast in both directions. We have several high bandwidth multicast
streams in the internal network that should be passed into the
university if someone needs this data (and not the whole time!).

Some related questions:

1) Is there any way to force xorp to be multicast IGMP querier (v2)? I have
some devices that feel the desire to be the querier, but cannot provide
the necessary bandwith (which is >>100MBit!). So it would be nice to "kick"
those devices out in the election process. At the moment (luckily) a device
is querier that has gigabit, but that was pure luck (I think).

2) [ 2005/11/22 15:40:56 WARNING xorp_fea MFEA ] proto_socket_read()
failed: RX packet from 134.130.49.250 to 224.0.0.1: no vif found

134.130.49.250 is the current IGMP querier in the internal network
(eth0).
What is needed to handle this warning? Is this bridge-related?
In the network (where the querier resides) there are several multicast
devices in another IP range (that is not routed).

The full configuration can be seen here:
http://home.c-otto.de/xorp.conf.txt

Thanks for any answers,
--=20
Carsten Otto