[Xorp-users] Linux IPv6 PIM SM support

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:05:16 -0800

> This is good news.  However, I am running into some difficulty compiling
> pim6sd-0.1b.  But based on what you just said maybe I should not be using
> this pim release at all.  I have managed to easily integrate the Hoerdt's
> changes into the latest Fedora Core 4 2.6.14-1.1637 updates.  The question
> then is, the pim6sd-0.1b code, is that not required anymore because all the
> PIM SM IPv6 exists in XORP now?  (by-the-by I did pull a CVS release
> yesterday prior to building xorp).

Yes, the core PIM-SM IPv6 functionality is included in XORP, so if
you are planning to run XORP then you don't need to run pim6sd as
well.

However, to be fair currently XORP doesn't implement MLDv2 (yet) so
if you have IPv6 SSM receivers, you would have to run pim6sd as the
last-hop routers connected to the receivers (the XORP routers should
be fine as intermediate PIM-SSM routers).

Pavlin