[Xorp-users] Tiny bit missing

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:09:36 -0800

> I think I managed to configure quite a lot, but something is missing.
>
> I get following messages from the internet:
> 20:16:31.450654 IP mr-leipzig2.g-win.dfn.de.496 > CISCO-RP-DISCOVERY.MCAST.=
> NET.496:  auto-rp mapping Hold 3m RP mr-frankfurt2.g-win.dfn.de PIMv1+2 IET=
> F-1-LOW-AUDIO.MCAST.NET/31,IETF-1-VIDEO.MCAST.NET/31,IETF-2-AUDIO.MCAST.NET=
> /31,224.0.2.0/23,224.0.4.0/22,224.0.8.0/21[|autorp]
>
> At some state I even managed that this mr-frankfurt node appeared inside
> the "show pim rps" table. At the moment my router is elected as RP and
> BSR, but the internet does not know this.

It looks like your PIM-SM domain is using the Auto-RP mechanism to
propagate the RP-Set.
This mechanism is Cisco-specific and there is no RFC (or even an
Internet-Draft) that describes it.

XORP supports the following two mechanisms for
propagating/configuring the RP-Set: the Bootstrap mechanism, and
Static RPs.
If the rest of the network is not running the Bootstrap mechanism,
then you shouldn't use it either, because the main point of using
it is that all PIM-SM routers will have the same Cand-RP set.
Even if the rest of your network is using the Bootstrap mechanism,
in your case it would be safer if you don't configure your XORP
router as a Candidate-BSR or a Candidate-RP, unless you have good
reasons for that.

If you cannot convince the network admins to switch from Auto-RP to
the Bootstrap mechanism, then I am afraid you have to configure all
RPs in your XORP router using the static-rps mechanism.
For that you have to collect all rp-to-group mapping information, as
well as the rp-priority for each mapping entry. If the auto-rp
packets don't carry any rp-priority field, you can ignore the
priority in your config.

Then you have to add all rp-to-group mapping to the "static-rps"
configuration section: inside static-rps you can have multiple "rp"
statements (one per each RP), and you can have multiple
"group-prefix" statements per each RP.

Of course, if the Auto-RP mapping changes, then you have to update
immediately your static RP configuration.

If you feel creativite then you can write some script that uses
tcpdump to receive and decode the auto-rp control packets, and then
writes the corresponding static-rps XORP configuration.
If the configuration has changed, then the same script can invoke
xorpsh to reconfigure XORP on-the-fly with the new mapping.

Pavlin