[Xorp-users] Tiny bit missing

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:55:38 -0800

> > XORP supports the following two mechanisms for
> > propagating/configuring the RP-Set: the Bootstrap mechanism, and
> > Static RPs.
> > If the rest of the network is not running the Bootstrap mechanism,
> > then you shouldn't use it either, because the main point of using
> > it is that all PIM-SM routers will have the same Cand-RP set.
> > Even if the rest of your network is using the Bootstrap mechanism,
> > in your case it would be safer if you don't configure your XORP
> > router as a Candidate-BSR or a Candidate-RP, unless you have good
> > reasons for that.
>
> I managed to get it to work by using an old configuration from the
> beginnings of this mailing list. I did not use a static RP or bootstrap.

FYI, even if your configuration doesn't contain the "bootstrap"
section, your XORP PIM-SM router will still listen for and accept
the Bootstrap messages.

Hence, I guess after all your PIM-SM domain has been configured to
use the Bootstrap mechanism: you should see the received bootstrap
info by the "show pim bootstrap" xorpsh command.
If the output of this command is empty, then I am very curious where
the Cand-RP info is coming from ("show pim rps" should be not empty
after all), and what particular "old configuration" you are using.

Pavlin