[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Carsten Otto c-otto@gmx.de
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:57:46 +0100

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 12:51:32PM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> 1. Configure the XORP router to be the RP for some particular group
>    range. The simplest way to do it is to use the "static-rps"
>    statement.
> 2. Start receivers directly connected to each of the
>    interfaces/segments: eth0, eth1, eth2.
> 3. Start a sender on each of the interfaces/segments (eth0, eth1,
>    eth2) and verify that the receivers receive the data.

What address should I enter as RP? Which of my own? I am confused.

The current (best) result is following:

1) Sender is inside the local network
2) This PC sends SAP announcements and data
3) SAP announcements can be seen university-wide
4) Data cannot be seen
5) Data sent to the SAP address (sap.mcast.net) can be seen (works
flawlessly!)

So I am quite confused. I think my xorp configuration is quite OK by
now. Sending works (with that address) and receiving works with all
addresses. Sending from the outer network (so next to xorp's external
interface) does not work with normal addresses - just the same as from
inside.

Should I ask my university? My university's provider? Is my
configuration incorrect? Am I using the wrong addresses? I tried
several, including 233.x.y.z where x and y are derived from my
university's AS number.

> I'd say that you don't need to worry who is the IGMP querier,
> because if a router is a querier it does not mean it will be the one
> responsible for forwarding the multicast traffic.
> At the PIM-SM level for example, you may care who is the DR
> (Designated Router) on the LAN and you can affect that decision by
> using the dr-priority statement per vif (inside the pimsm4
> configuration block).
> BTW, you cannot change who the IGMP querier is, because the election
> is purely based on the IP address, and the IGMP protocol does not
> provide priority-based election support.

Good.

> You should configure (inside XORP) the corresponding interface that
> is directly connected to 134.130.49.250 with the corresponding IP
> address that shares same subnet with 134.130.49.250 (see the first
> paragraph in my reply with the (a)-(b) options).

That problem is resolved.
--=20
Carsten Otto
c-otto@gmx.de