[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Carsten Otto c-otto@gmx.de
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:56:57 +0100

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 04:45:34PM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Do you see the crashes (coredumps?) during normal operation or only
> when you use Ctrl-C?

I have no coredumps, sorry. Xorp stops working in the middle of
operation (after some configuration changes, but not directly after
that).

> If the former please send a backtrace of the crashed process.

How? I am not experienced here, sorry.

> The MFC entries look fine (I presume that eth0 is the interface
> toward your source). It seems that the special register_vif is
> the only oif. This is normal, and all data packets will be
> encapsulated and unicast inside PIM Register messages to the RP.
> Once the RP receives the Registers, it will decapsulate them and
> send them natively (multicast) downstream to all receivers.

Here might be the problem. I was told sending data outside the
university, perhaps including this encapsulated format, is bad and makes
problems. I was told something about wrong routes with multicast and so
on. So a local solution would be fine :)

> Only if there is PIM Join message (or IGMP Join message) received on
> eth1, then the XORP router should forward the data packets on eth1.

There was, but no data has been received.

> If you tcpdump all PIM traffic (including unicast), then you should
> see the PIM Register messages with your encapsulated data packet.

Okay, I will try that (tomorrow, 2am here).

> Then the next thing do check is whether both the SAP announcements
> and the application's data are sent by PIM Registers to the (same)
> RP, and why only the SAP PIM Registers make it to the RP and down to
> the receivers.

Right.

> Did you have the directly connected sender running when you took the
> snapshot below. If yes, then you should have a sender-specific SG
> entry as well.

The sender was running, but I don't have (S,G). I will recheck.
--=20
Carsten Otto
c-otto@gmx.de
www.c-otto.de