[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Carsten Otto c-otto@gmx.de
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:33:10 +0100

--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:08:27PM -0800, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> Please send the log messages, because it is still not clear to me
> what exactly is happening.

I have about 1 GB of logs with varies tries and configurations. You can
have them, but I did not document what exactly was configured. Perhaps
you can find the lines that tell you this information.

I will give you the addresses via E-Mail.

The new logfile has been initialized just now. I will put a recent
version online from time to time.

> Are you part of your university PIM-SM domain or are you outside of
> it? If the former, then all PIM-SM routers MUST share the same
> RP-Set. Then, assuming your XORP router is not a Cand-RP for the
> particular multicast group you are interested at, you have to rely
> on the good will of the university's RP to accept and forward the
> multicast traffic originated by your source.

What exactly does inside mean here? One interface is directly connected
to a router/switch that does IGMP and PIM-SM. The university explicitely
activated the mcast feature for our port. I can see various multicast
messages even without any Xorp running. That named router appears in my
neighbors section.

> If you see PIM Join messages for your sender's group coming on eth1,
> then eth1 should have been added to the oif set. This is when you
> need to look into the "show pim join" output to verify that. Note
> that inside those Join messages the upstream-neighbor (from the
> tcpdump output) should be your XORP router's address, otherwise
> those Joins are for some other PIM-SM router on the shared LAN.

At the moment the announcements from the internal network do not appear
in the external network. Manually starting the stream does not work, I
will analyze the packet flow later.

Thanks again for your help!
--=20
Carsten Otto