[Xorp-users] How to work with a bridge (br0)? (corrected version)

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:38:48 -0800

> I have about 1 GB of logs with varies tries and configurations. You can
> have them, but I did not document what exactly was configured. Perhaps
> you can find the lines that tell you this information.

You don't expect me to analyze 1GB of logs, do you? :)

Well, I had a quick look, and it appears that the PIM Registers from
your XORP router are transmitted with src address from the private
address space 10.x.x.x.

There is some possibility that the RP may be dropping the 10.x.x.x PIM
Registers simply because (presumably) the RP doesn't have a route to
your 10.x subnet.

The reason that the XORP router is using the 10.x.x.x address is
because it has been chosen as the primary address on eth0 (simply
because it was the first on the list of IP addresses for eth0).
Unfortunately, currently there is no XORP configuration statement to
influence which particular address is chosen as primary.

You could try the following workarounds (for testing purpose).
Explicitly configure all addresses on eth0, but exclude the
private addresses like 10.x. However, note that then the multicast
senders/receivers from the same 10.x subnet will be excluded so in
your tests the senders/receivers should not use those addresses.

Pavlin