[Xorp-users] Re: help establishing OSPF adjacencies

Nick Feamster feamster@lcs.mit.edu
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:55:42 -0400

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 02:11:25PM -0700, Atanu Ghosh wrote:
> The messages of the form '[ 4251 +430 xrl_io.cc ...' are debugging
> output from OSPF. One of the things that they show are packets being
> sent and received by OSPF.
>
> OSPF uses multicast on broadcast media to distribute LSAs (with a TTL of
> 1), so this behaviour is correct.

I'm wondering how I can debug connectivity to membership in the
multicast group 224.0.0.5, to where the LSAs are being sent?  ping
doesn't seem to work, for example.

> The TRACE messages are typically at the top of methods so they show the
> state on entry to the method. It is therefore correct that when a
> InterFaceUp event occurs that the state of the interface was down.
>
> Could you try disabling Click and see if an adjacency is still not
> formed.

I disabled click.  The only thing I have in the fea is :

fea {
    unicast-forwarding4 {
            disable: true
    }
}

should the fea have something else?

> Two routers with the default configuration should try and form an
> adjacency. You should see TRACE messages of this form:
>
> [ . TRACE .] Event(HelloReceived) I.(fxp0/fxp0) N.(128.31.1.14) State(Full)
> [ . TRACE .] Event(2-WayReceived) I.(fxp0/fxp0) N.(128.31.1.14) State(Full)
>
> I have replaced some of the output with '.'s.

The last thing I see is:

[ 2005/10/17 21:36:00 TRACE xorp_ospfv2 OSPF ] Event(InterfaceUp) Interface(eth0/eth0) State(Down)

I don't see any attempts to send a hello packet, even.  Is that a problem?

-Nick