[Xorp-users] Re: help establishing OSPF adjacencies

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:09:00 -0700

> > > fea {
> > >     unicast-forwarding4 {
> > >             disable: true
> > >     }
> > > }
> > >
> > > should the fea have something else?
> >
> > You don't need anything else in the fea, but "disable: true" should
> > be "disable: false".
>
> In that case, I get:
>
> [ 2005/10/17 23:54:52  ERROR xorp_rtrmgr:2460 RTRMGR +671
> master_conf_tree.cc commit_pass2_done ] Commit failed: 102 Command
> failed Cannot open file /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward for writing:
> Operation not permitted
>
> Even when running as root, which may be a problem with planetlab.  Hmm.

Yes, to enable the unicast forwarding on the system you have to be a
root. In fact, you have to be root for other operations including
sending the OSPF raw packets.
To track-down the above error, the first thing to check is whether
the above file (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward) really exists and
whether it is writeable (by root).

In any case, I believe the problem you are having with OSPF is not
related to the IP forwarding flag, but it is better to fix the above
problem first.

Pavlin