[Xorp-users] need some Xorp set up helps

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:25:11 -0700

> On Friday 30 September 2005 16:17, riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it wrote:
> > Hi everybody!
> > I am trying to install xorp but i got some problems!
> > I downloaded from xorp website the last stable XORP release (xorp 1.1)
> > and i've seen there is a config.boot.sample file.
> > In that file there are some code lines that goes to use click
> > as support for the forwarding path!
> > My question is:Do i have to use a click patched kernel
> > of Linux to realize
> > my forwarding plan ?or may i interface xorp with a
> > base linux kernel and use its capabilty to realize the forwarding plan
> > (For more information i'm
> > using the xorp supported linux kernel 2.4.20?
> > In case i do use a simple Linux kernel, could anybody provide me of a
> > config.boot sample file?
>

> Hi Riccardo,
>
> you don't need Click to run XORP on Linux - the standard Linux
> forwarding path will work just fine.
>
> The XORP user manual is probably the best place to find more details on
> how to configure XORP, i.e. on how to construct the config.boot file.
> Nevertheless, here's another very minimalistic example - a RIP config
> with two interfaces:

In case of IPv4 multicast routing (only) you need to configure the
following sections: interfaces, fea (without Click), mfea4, igmp,
pimsm4, fib2mrib. The config.boot.sample can be a starting point
(after removing the unnecessary sections of course), and then you
can use the XORP user manual as a reference how to configure each
section. Also, make sure that your Linux kernel is configured
to support multicast forwarding and PIM-SM (this is described in the
user manual).

Pavlin