[Xorp-users] Redistributing the system kernel route table into OSPF

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:30:40 +0100

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 05:15:26PM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> It won't work on Windows, but for a different reason.
> The fib2mrib mechanism is tied to the ability of the FEA to observe
> third-party changes to the unicast forwarding table in the kernel.

fib2mrib isn't terribly useful without multicast routing protocols
and vice versa.  It will compile on Windows but isn't useful [yet].

> Currently, the FEA doesn't support this for Windows. I am not even
> sure whether the Windows API supports asynchronous notifications to
> userland if the forwarding table is modified; Bruce M. Simpson would
> be the right person to answer that question.

'Sort of'. It depends whether one registers for changes via the IP Helper
calls (using an Event object) or via RTMv2 messages.

XORP currently does neither because Microsoft's internal APIs are still in
a state of change.

BMS