[Xorp-users] Redistributing the system kernel route table into OSPF

Frank E. Renwick frenwick@cengen.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:31:11 -0700

Bruce,

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment that the optimized approach when
redistributing between routing protocols (such as OLSR and OSPF) includes
instantiating both under a common routing daemon, like XORP or Quagga.
However, there is much that can be done if one only has the capability of
interchanging information using the kernel as a "middle man."  For example,
in Windows, I currently use OLSR coupled with OSPF from RRAS.  By defining
an ASBR, the Windows box is able to create Type 5 LSAs (albeit only External
Type 2) from entries in the kernel route table. (I was attracted to XORP
OSPF because it appears to be able to inject External Type 1 LSAs, which are
much preferred.)

As a network engineer who is not a software developer, I was after the "low
hanging fruit."  I was under the assumption that XORP routing protocols
(OSPF,BGP, etc.) would be able to interchange with the kernel route table,
without worrying about where the kernel entries originated.  I also assumed
that this mechanism would be easier to implement than a full route
redistribution between two routing protocols, one of which is not currently
part of XORP.  As it turns out, with the version of OLSR I am using, if I
had the ability to redistribute kernel routes into OSPF, I would be able to
provide full bi-directional route redistribution between an OLSR domain and
an OSPF domain.  Assuming that XORP offers External Type 1 redistribution, I
would be able to include multiple redistribution points in the network
without fear of routing loops, by "sharing" the metric across the
redistribution boundary.

All this said, I do not expect that XORP should develop a capability just to
meet my needs.  I appreciate the discussion, and I will meet with my team to
discuss the option of participating in the development of OLSR as a XORP
routing protocol.

Frank