[Xorp-users] Looping back PIM messages

Venketesan venkthi1 at iit.edu
Thu Aug 3 18:44:28 PDT 2006

Hey all,

I am writing a multicast tunneling protocol in linux redhat 9. I have
a program that
receives encapsulated PIm control messages on an interface that
basically connects to a non multicast router.
The topology is the following
A---->0B1----->C

A is a non xorp linux box.
B is a xorp linux box with my code running in it too.
C is a pure XORP linux box.

I receive unicast encapsulated PIM control messages in B via A. My
code
receves thise control messages and decapsulates and sends them to C. I
send these PIM-SM packets using a raw socket binded to IP address of
interface 1 in B.

Now the issue is for some reason my program receves all the PIM
control messages back that it was supposed to send out. Xorp is
looping it back and not letting the packets go out of interface1 in B.
If i
stop xorp everything is fine and the packets are received at C.
Note that i am not listening over any raw socket just sending PIM-SM
packets using them. The way i receive is in the kernel i intercept PIM-
SM packets, make a copy of the same and  pass it to my user space
program using netlink sockets.

Can anyone guide me on this issue, is it a expected behaviour of XORP
to loop back any PIM-SM control packet not orginated by itself.
I am using XORP 1.2
regards,
Venkat