[Xorp-users] PIM-SM in xorp cvs

Otto Solares solca at guug.org
Tue Aug 22 13:26:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 09:30:19AM -0700, Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> > FYI I fetch latest CVS and tried PIM-SM multicast routing and BGP
> > but BGP still don't respect the next-hop parameter so still using
> > quagga and trying xorp for PIM-SM:
>
> Forgot to ask.
> Can you provide more details about the issue with the XORP BGP
> next-hop parameter?

As I report sometime ago, I can import nicely all 10,000 routes
into XORP via BGP, but I have 2 problems:

* My setup is iBGP (my ASN and my peer ASN is the same), XORP
say another router have this ASN.  If is iBGP it should accept
this condition.

* When peering with the route-reflector router (iBGP) XORP
sends the messages with next-hop = some primary address in
another NIC, it should send as PIM-SM works which sends it's
messages using the "primary" address towards the RP, just in
this case it should use the address toward the BGP router,
In quagga this is achieved with:

neighbor 10.10.26.14 update-source 10.10.26.7

XORP is using 168.234.203.2 as source, quagga is using 10.10.26.7

* Linux have notion of primary address and secondary addresses
  (ip a), XORP chooses the first numerically ordered IP address
  in an interface to be the primary address for sockets and stuff,
  it should pick the Linux primary address, this can be seen
  in xorpsh when issuing 'show * interface address".  This is
  not a serious problem as one can rearrange the IPs in your
  net so the first numerically address match the Linux primary
  address but anyway is a problem.

Hope I have been clear this time.

Thanks!

-otto