[Xorp-users] PIM-SM in xorp cvs

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Aug 22 17:54:44 PDT 2006

> I think my problems are related to the fact that my RP is not
> my neighbor.
>
> Hopefully now that XORP supports SSM in PIM-SM for IPv4 maybe I
> don't need MSDP and I could enable PIM in my next-hop router.
>
> I have this:
>
> My_router <--> NREN_router <--> Internet2_router
>
> Now my RP is the Internet2 router, if I configured SSM in
> My_router and in NREN_router and put as RP the NREN_router how
> the NREN_router will exchange multicast sessions without MSDP
> with the Internet2_router?  Can this work?

You must run PIM-SM on MREN_router even if you are going to use SSM
only. As I mentioned in one of my earlier emails, you don't have to
configure MREN_router to be an RP. Instead, configure both My_router
and MREN_router (e.g., using static-rps entry) to consider
Internet2_router as the RP.

You need MSDP if you have your own PIM-SM domain with your own set
of RPs, and you want to exchange that info with other PIM-SM
domains. If Internet2_router is already running MSDP for example,
then you just become part of the Internet2_route's PIM-SM domain and
you don't need MSDP running on My_router or MREN_router.