[Xorp-users] Bugs? recursive malloc, fib2mrib doesn't update nexthop vif, and PIM RP never initiates a Register-Stop

Hasso Tepper hasso at linux.ee
Fri Aug 25 01:31:43 PDT 2006

Pavlin Radoslavov wrote:
> This might not be the right solution, because sometimes the IPv6
> prefix length can be legitimately bigger than 64. E.g., the loopback
> ::1 address has prefix length of 128.

Any address can have prefix length /128. Loopback can have global
addresses as well :).

Note that although having prefix length longer than /64 seems to be
forbidden by RFC3513 for non-000/3 unicast prefixes, using /127 and
smaller (but bigger than /64) has gained a lot of operational popularity.
There is a mass of discussions about this in the net (search cisco-nsp,
nanog etc list archives).

Yes, I know /127 is bad idea (see RFC3267 for details), but smaller prefix
lengths don't have any operational impact for now in any equipment I know
of.

So, I think Xorp shouldn't set any restrictions either. With these we
could cause a lot of trouble for users while integrating Xorp routers
into existing networks.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper