[Xorp-users] 211 Reply timed out error

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Wed Aug 30 10:20:05 PDT 2006

>  >I presume it is working for 50 VLAN interfaces, based on the
> >information you sent to the list almost 2 months ago (see the thread
> >with Subject "Too many open files in system").
>
> 1. yes Xorp  working fine for 98 VLANS after this even
> if add a single interface also it comes out
>
> >Also, do you get that error if you are running only the FEA. I.e.,
> >configure only the "interfaces" section without configuring/running
> >the MFEA, IGMP, FIB2MRIB and PIM-SM.
>
> 2. yes I am getting the same error by configuring only the "interfaces"
> and running XORP
>

> >You could try to set the XRLTRACE environmenta variable before
> >running XORP. It will enable printing all XRL exchange information,
> >so this might help finding if something has stalled. E.g. you could
> >do the following in csh/tcsh (note that it doesn't matter what value
> >you use to set XRLTRACE, as long as it is set):
>
> I exported XRLTRACE=1 (i am using bash shell)than run XORP It did not create
> any log file
> as you specified but printed lot of info messages to the console.
> I copied all those messages and attached that file with this mail.

Thank you for the info.
My best guess so far is that it takes too long for the FEA to
process all the interface-related configuration, and this triggers
the XRL-reated timeouts.
The processing is transaction-based and is suppose to be atomic. If
it takes long time to complete it, the FEA may stay too long out of
the eventloop, and all the XRL-related message exchanges will
timeout.

Could you send me the script you use to configure 100+ vlans (before
starting XORP), and a copy of your "interfaces" XORP configuration
file, so I can try to reproduce the problem.