[Xorp-users] Testing XORP in a Multicasting Environment

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Dec 11 00:38:39 PST 2006

> I am trying to run XORP in a multicasting environment. I m using RH9
> and my PC is on a LAN. I m running XORP on my PC. Whats the minimum
> configuration required to do that? and how do I test that multicasting
> is working fine? Do I have to make changes in the default kernel?

It is not clear from your email whether your PC is connected to 2+
LANs and will serve as a multicast router, or whether it is a leaf
node connected to a single LAN segment. If the latter, then it is
unclear what purpose your PC will have on that LAN, because some
other node is suppose to be the multicast router for that LAN.

Anyway, at the end of this email is a sample configuration that
enables IGMP and PIM-SM. The configuration assumes:
1. There are two network interfaces (eth0 and eth1), and those
   interfaces have configured IP addresses before starting XORP.
2. The IP address of one of the interfaces is 10.0.0.1.

See the XORP user manual for configuration details.

To test whether the multicast routing is working, start a multicast
sender and a multicast receiver (on separate LANs interconnected by
the multicast routers). However, make sure the TTL of the sender is
large enough to reach the receiver (the default multicast TTL is 1).

In general, the PIM-SM support must be enabled in the UNIX kernel.
Though, I don't know whether the RedHat 9 kernel has PIM-SM support
enabled by default. If the PIM-SM support is not enabled, then see
Section 13.3 "Configuring PIM-SM" in the XORP user manual regarding
the kernel configuration options you need to enable before
recompiling your kernel.

interfaces {
    interface eth0 {
        default-system-config