[Xorp-users] Testing XORP in a Multicasting Environment

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Tue Dec 12 23:57:56 PST 2006

> I have configured the interfaces in both ways ie before starting XORP
> and also within the XORP configuration. I m attaching the XORP
> configuration file that I m using. What are the other possible issues?

The original configuration file I sent you has statements like:

interfaces {
   interface eth0 {
        default-system-config
   }
   interface eth1 {
        default-system-config
   }
}

This basically instructs XORP to use whatever network interface
information has been configured before starting XORP. I.e., the
information (per interface) you will see with the "ip addr" Linux
command. If a network interface wasn't UP (as it is probably your
case for eth1), then XORP cannot use it for multicast purpose, hence
the errors you see.

The reason I suggested the above configuration is because I don't
know the real IP addresses on your interfaces.

To fix the problem then you need to do either:

(a) Run "ifconfig eth1 up" as a root
OR
(b) Replace the above "interfaces" XORP configuration with something
like:

interfaces {
   interface eth0 {
        vif eth0 {
            address 10.0.0.1 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
   }
   interface eth1 {
        vif eth1 {
            address 10.1.0.1 {
                prefix-length: 24
            }
        }
   }
}

Obviously, you need to use IP addresses and prefix-length that match
your setup.