[Xorp-users] Virtual interfaces in GNU/Linux

Pepo pmancheno at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 20:02:44 PST 2006

El Domingo, 17 de Diciembre de 2006 11:50, escribió:
> > For my real-test I will use normal computers and some others as routers
> > with Xorp, but I have just one NIC in each PC, so, How do I can use
> > virtual interfaces just like in a normal GNU/Linux.
> >
> > 	ifconfig ethN:X <address>
> > 	(ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.1)
>
> First, you need to configure manually the virtual interfaces; i.e.,
> in advance before starting XORP (in the future XORP should have
> support for configuring virtual interfaces).
>
> Then, inside the XORP configuration you use the virtual interfaces
> as any other (physical) interface. For example, if the interface
> names shown by "ifconfig -a" are eth0:1 and eth0:2, then your
> configuration might look like the one below.
> Though, double-check that eth0:1 and eth0:2 are indeed configured
> with IP addresses, they are multicast capable (the MULTICAST flag is
> set), and are UP.
>
> Please let us know if this setup is not working properly.
>
> Regards,
> Pavlin

> interfaces {
>     interface eth0:1 {
>         default-system-config
>     }
>     interface eth0:2 {
>         default-system-config
>     }
> }
>
> .../...

Lamentably it didn't work; I config /etc/network/interfaces (is the same using
commands -> ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.10 ... ifconfig eth1:1 192.168.13.1):
=================/etc/network/interfaces============================
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.1.10
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255

auto eth1:1
iface eth1:1 inet static
	address 192.168.13.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.13.0
	broadcast 192.168.13.255

Later my xorp config file:
============================router.cis===========================
interfaces {
   interface eth1{
      default-system-config
   }
   interface eth1:1 {
      default-system-config
   }
}
.../...

And get this error message:

[ 2006/12/17 22:34:38  ERROR xorp_rtrmgr:3523 RTRMGR +330 main_rtrmgr.cc run ]
rtrmgr shutting down due to an init error: PARSE ERROR [Config File
router.cis, line 5]: syntax error; Last symbol parsed was "eth1"

Please help me.