[Xorp-users] Routing of Multicast Traffic

lists lists@pjb.homelinux.net
Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:36:58 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I would like to use Xorp to simulate a ground network which is currently
being installed. The aim is to allow lab testing of the distributed system
before delivery. The ground network will terminate at 5 sites (each on a
different subnet with associated gateway).

Until now I have been using monowall with a NIC for each site, with the
card IP address set to the respective site gateway IP address. This has
worked fine with unicast traffic, but we are now adding multicast traffic
to the network (senders and receivers on all subnets) and monowall will
not route multicast traffic between interfaces.

The equipment at each site will be connected with existing Cisco 3550
Catalyst or Notel Baystack switches (all of which are currently configured
as simple switches).

I am unsure whether I can achieve what I need to do with the LiveCD and
simple static routes (inc. multicast static routes) or whether dynamic
routing (PIM-Sparse with RIP or BGP) would be preferable? Each of the 5
sites will have a single switch with connected PCs and is for an
evaluation only, not long term installation.

Thanks,
Peter