[Xorp-users] Xorp delayed actions

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:48:07 -0800

> Hi i made up some switching time test with xorp as follows:
> 1)I set up
> a network with two possible path to the same destination but with
> different metric
> 2)I start sending ip packets over this network towards
> the destination node
> 3)I turned up the metric of the old low cost path
> to make it the the new higher cost one.
> 4)I sniffed the ip traffic over
> these links and i make this experiment lot of times
> The thing i noticed
> is that xorp needs 5 to 6 seconds to switch the traffic to the new low
> cost path.
> I thing that this time is too long but i also thing that it
> could be because of some delayed action(like delayed spf scheduling or
> delayed access to te routing table or whatever).
> My questions are:
> what
> are the default delayed action that xorp does and their delay value?
> Where can i find this information inside xorp code?

What routing protocol are you running and how do you modify the
routing metrics?

In general, there are no (intentionally) delayed actions.
If you use the "-v" option to the rtrmgr you can see extra
information about various events, etc. Furthermore, if you set the
XRLTRACE environmental variable before starting XORP you will see
all the XRL-related events as well.
Those can give you some ideas what is happening.

Pavlin