[Xorp-users] Xorp delayed actions

Hasso Tepper hasso@linux.ee
Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:26:19 +0200

Atanu Ghosh wrote:
> As a general principle in our routing protocol implementations we have
> tried to react immediately to a protocol packet (or other event)
> signalling a topology change. The one exception at the moment is OSPF,
> which, when it notices a topology change schedules a full routing
> computation to take place in 5 seconds (perhaps 1 second would be
> better choice).

Sure, and subsecond would be even better. Actually adaptive timers should
be really used in modern link state protocol implementation. IOS and
Junos took different approaches with SPF timers.

IOS uses exponential algorithm described in
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1838/products_feature_guide09186a0080134ad8.html

Junos has taken much simpler approach. Only initial SPF interval is
configurable - 50..1000 milliseconds (200ms by default). If there have
been three sequential SPF runs with minimal delay (=> topology is
unstable), Junos switches to 5 seconds spf delay (not configurable). If
there have been no SPF run during 20 seconds (=> topology is stable
again), Junos switches back to fast spf delay.

I hope this helps.

--
Hasso Tepper