[Xorp-users] role of pimreg interface

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 10:08:19 -0800

> What is the role of the pimreg interface?
> Is it used differently on a pimsm RP (rendezvous point) router than on
> non-RP routers ?

It is used by the Designated Routers (DRs) and the RPs.
On the DR side it is used for the encapsulation and transmission of
the encapsulated PIM Register packets to the RP.
On the RP side it is used for the receiving and decapsulation of
those packets.

Note that any PIM-SM router may be a DR (if it has a
directly-connected source) hence it should be enabled on all
routers. Even if you are 100% confident that a router won't have a
directly-connected source, I still won't recommend disabling it,
because the result may be unpredictable.

Pavlin