[Xorp-users] traffic policy

Bruce M Simpson bms@spc.org
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:42:17 +0000

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 05:29:13PM +0000, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> XORP doesn't currently do this.
> I believe quagga does a setsockopt() of IP_TOS to IP_TOS_PREC_INTERNETCONTROL.

Just for the record, Windows doesn't support explicitly setting the
ToS bits any more: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/248611/en-us
... so doing this the 'old' way is non-portable, they deprecated it
in favour of DiffServ.

On a Layer 2 QoS note:
It also appears that FreeBSD doesn't support 802.1p encapsulation
properly. 802.1p causes sent and received Ethernet frames to be
encapsulated with 802.1q VLAN tags having a vlan ID of 0. FreeBSD
needs fixing to sort this one out, as currently it drops tagged
frames if no vlans are configured. 802.1p traffic would trigger this.

Regards,
BMS