[Xorp-users] traffic policy

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:30:34 -0800

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:52:14AM +0100, riccardo.sciaccaluga@tin.it wrote:
> > Is there already implemented in Xorp any traffic managing policy
> > that gives a priority to ospf packet rather than IP packet in a traffic
> > congestions situation?
>
> XORP doesn't currently do this.
> I believe quagga does a setsockopt() of IP_TOS to IP_TOS_PREC_INTERNETCONTROL.
>
> To do it unconditionally is a small change, but this wouldn't be the
> correct behaviour -- the TOS bits should only be changed, in my opinion,
> with an explicit XRL call.

I don't know whether the original question was about the ip_tos IP
header packet field, but the XORP raw socket XRL interface already
supports setting ip_tos (see raw_packet4/0.1/send XRL).
That XRL interface also supports setting the IP Router Alert option.
Furthermore, if the IP Router Alert flag is enabled, but the ip_tos
is unset, then the FEA internally will set the ip_tos to
IPTOS_PREC_INTERNETCONTROL.
FYI, currently the IP Router Alert option is disabled for OSPF, and
is enabled for IGMP and PIM.

If the original question was about something else, then the answer
is that in the control plane we don't do anything special about
traffic management.

Pavlin