[Xorp-users] troubles with PIM-SM

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:49:34 -0800

> Sorry for the long introduction, but I think a bit of a background is =
> necessary:
> I have a GRE tunnel going over a VPN and multicast+PIM-SM traffic going =
> through this GRE tunnel.=20
> The other side is a Cisco router, don't know exactly the model + IOS =
> release.=20
> All of this is fully operational on my side on a Cisco router as well, =
> with the following configuration:
> 2611XM with an AIM VPN/BP encryption module,  running =
> c2600-ik9o3s-mz.122-27.=20
>
> The problem is that the CPU usage is very high on the Cisco on my end.
> Even though the specs say this setup should handle up to 10Mbps of =
> encrypted traffic (with packets at near-MTU size),
> I get this high CPU usage at much lower traffic rates, as in 1 to =
> 1.5Mbps.=20
> Because of this, I tried to replicate the same configuration on a =
> Soekris net4801 box (with a vpn1411 VPN accelerator card),=20
> running on OpenBSD 3.8. The only modification from the stock 3.8 kernel =
> was to add support for PIM:=20
> option          PIM             # Protocol Independent Multicast

I don't remember what the default OpenBSD kernel configuration is,
but make sure that you have the following option as well:

option          MROUTING        # Multicast router

In addition, add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local and
reboot:

# Enable multicast routing (see netstart(8) for details).
multicast_host=NO
multicast_router=YES

The above should be covered in the PIM-SM section of the XORP user
manual.
This should fix the "No route to host" for the multicast sendmsg().
The remaining issue(s) should be addressed after the above changes.

FYI, two days ago the XORP-1.2-RC (Release Candidate) was released
so I'd recommend to use it instead of XORP-1.1, because the PIM-SM
implementation has a number of fixes since 1.1.

Pavlin