[Xorp-users] Separated forwarding engine

Atanu Ghosh atanu@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:22:09 -0800

Hi,

A similar question was asked last year:
<http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-hackers/2005-March/000332.html>

XORP processes communicate with each other using XRLs. The default
transport for XRLs is TCP so all the processes do not have to be on the
same host.

The XRL system is not tied to a single transport, it should be possible
to add a shared memory transport.

     Atanu.

    Sébastien> Hello,

    Sébastien>

    Sébastien> I would like to know if someone tried or managed to use
    Sébastien> xorp with a forwarding engine in a physically different
    Sébastien> system ??

    Sébastien> I would like to port Xorp on a an arm platform (control
    Sébastien> plane) and use click as the FE on an other arm
    Sébastien> platform(data plane) the FE would communicate with the
    Sébastien> FEA of xorp through a virtual ethernet port (in fact
    Sébastien> shared memory)

    Sébastien> Do you think it's something worth a try with the current
    Sébastien> version of XORP ??

    Sébastien>

    Sébastien> Best regards

    Sébastien> Sebastien