[Xorp-users] two different xorp instances on the same pc

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin@icir.org
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:33:39 -0800

> Yes, it worked fine for me. I did not do a thoroughgoing test but it
> worked for a simple testbed. I used two routers on one machine having 2
> interfaces each.  I wrote a short report about it and put the changes to
> a patch file. I sent those files to your mail address instead of
> flooding the mailing list with attachments.

Do you mind sending those attachments to feedback@xorp.org
(or better, open a bugzilla entry on the subject and add those
attachments there) so we can use your info when it comes to updating
the documentation.

The question of running multiple XORP instances on the same machine
has come several times in the past. E.g., see the following email
for instructions:
http://mailman.icsi.berkeley.edu/pipermail/xorp-users/2005-August/000716.html
I'd recommend to read the whole thread on the subject to get better
idea about any potential issues.
E.g., you cannot use the XORP_FINDER_SERVER_PORT environment
variable to run more than one XORP instance for multicast routing
purpose (the UNIX kernel allows only one multicast routing socket),
but you could always use IMUNES (http://www.imunes.net/).

Pavlin