[Xorp-users] problem starting xorp-1.2

Pavlin Radoslavov pavlin at icir.org
Mon Jul 10 08:55:10 PDT 2006

> We have a problem with a Debian 2.4 Router:
> Our Xorp1.2 won't start. We have TCP/IP-Tunneling & Multicasting,
> Multicast Routing and the PIM-SM1/2 protocols compiled into the Kernel.
> The config.boot is afaik correctly configured (see below).
> Everything works quite fine except routing Multicast.
> btw, sorry for my bad english :)
> Does anyone know how to fix that problem?
>

> The log after trying to start xorp_rtrmgr is as follows:

<DEL>

> [ 2006/07/10 11:27:27  ERROR xorp_fea:24601 MFEA +564 mfea_mrouter.cc
> start_mrt ] setsockopt(MRT_INIT, 1) failed: Protocol not available

<DEL>

> [ 2006/07/10 11:27:28  ERROR xorp_fea:24601 MFEA +967 mfea_mrouter.cc
> add_multicast_vif ] setsockopt(MRT_ADD_VIF, vif eth0) failed: Protocol not
> available

Could you double-check that you have the following options enabled
in your kernel as specified in the user manual (in the PIM-SM chapter):

CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y
CONFIG_IP_PIMSM_V2=y

E.g., if you don't have CONFIG_IP_MROUTE enabled, then you could get
the ENOPROTOOPT error "Protocol not available".

If the above options are fine, please tell the kernel version.